Rotary Conifer Evening Club Meeting Information
Mornings are difficult for some of us, that is why we now have an evening club. Please join us at 5:30 PM every second and fourth Wednesday of the month at St. Laurence Episcopal Church, 26812 Barkley Rd. in Conifer. We have the same interests and ambitions as the morning club, a group that endeavors to help people in our local mountain community and around the world.
Donate to Rotary Conifer Community Projects
Program: MRC Update
Mel Nuchols joined us this morning to provide an update on the mountain charity that is near and dear to all Conifer Rotarians, the Mountain Resource Center. Mel is the Donor Coordinator for MRC and her first order of business was to tell us about MRC’s upcoming fund raising events:
- 6:00PM Thursday October 13th is the 2nd Annual Bowls After Dark Evening Gala at the Evergreen Lake House.
- 11:00AM for Lunch and 5PM for Dinner Tuesday October 18th is the 8th Annual Mountain Bowls event at Aspen Ridge Church
Mel went on to explain to us that internally, MRC has experienced significant changes for the better. MRC is a member of the Family Resource Center of Colorado and their accounting and records are now standardized across all their programs. That has facilitated their grant application process, because incoming funding is critical to their being able to provide services.
Their Center of Family Opportunity is highly dependent upon incoming funds so that they can help needy families in the local community with basic needs such as gas cards, rent, utilities, and other essential needs.
Mel encouraged us to take a tour of their facility to see their many programs in action:
- Family Services.
- Early childhood support.
- Food Pantry.
- Veterans Programs, highlighted by the Community Veterans Coalition in May each year.
- Family Education.
- Advocacy support, speaking up for people in need including the homeless, those with life impacting medical issues, those who have lost their jobs to name a few.
- Mental health services, for both families and veterans.
- Workforce education and support, including free computer classes to train people wanting to work with essential skills.
- Financial coaching.
- MRC Thrift Store
In response to the audience interest and questions, Mel went on to tell us:
- MRC has grown to about employees: 35, although only two are full time.
- Funding: United Way is their largest source. Grant funding is critical to support the remaining funding need, they have 2 grant writers on staff.
- Their Family Center of Opportunity basic needs funding. It has such high demand that monthly funds are always exhausted the first week.
- Advocates provide key support for persons needing a friend and helper, they are paid counselors in their specific areas of expertise.
- All counseling and support is strictly confidential; they even use sound barriers when counseling is in progress.
- Volunteer are critical for their ability to support individuals and families. Volunteers provided over 10,000 hours of service last year, equating to $230,700 if they were paid.
- The Mountain Resource Center building was constructed ten years ago. It was funded by a capital campaign, and they are still paying a mortgage on the remainder.
- Our own Cathy Taylor joined board a year ago, she reported that she is highly impressed by all they accomplish for the needy people in our community.
Guests: Curt Harris, Greg Bishop
Announcements and Business
- Our Area 8 Assembly is next Wednesday, 5:30PM at Mt Vernon. You will get to see a taste of RYLA.
- Conifer Rotary Satellite Meeting with the Conifer Rotary Board meeting is 5:30PM Wednesday at St. Laurence Episcopal Church.
- Wendy reported that the Foundation received grant requests from 6 organizations totaling $12,500.
- Suzanne brought copies of Cliff and Charlotte’s article in Serenity about the Backpack Project and buddy benches for the elementary schools.
- Wes Paxton needs volunteers for the Rotary shed painting.
- Mat and Audrey are departing the area, we REALLY need someone to be club Secretary.
50/50: Joyce Snapp
Contact us by email at: RotaryClub@RotaryConifer.org
Our postal address is: PO Box 1430, Conifer CO 80433
Birthdays & Anniversaries
Cliff BowronSeptember 8
Cathy TaylorSeptember 13
Finn KnudsenSeptember 24
Yvonne LipsonJon LipsonSeptember 19
Mark RehmJudySeptember 25